An inspiring collection of motivational quotes to provide you perspectives on life, overcoming adversity and the importance of determination.
Read some insightful words from some very notable figures from the past and present. Don’t reinvent the wheel; learn from the best.
Good Motivational Quotes
- We become happier, much happier, when we realize life is an opportunity rather than an obligation.
- I avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward.
- Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfills itself.
W. C. Doane
- Do we not all agree to call rapid thought and noble impulse by the name of inspiration?
- When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
- Do not wait; the time will never be just right. Start where you stand.
- In any project the important factor is your belief. Without belief, there can be no successful outcome.
- The power of imagination makes us infinite.
- Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.
George S. Patton
- When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.
Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks.
Johann Gottfried Von Herder
- Seek the lofty by reading, hearing and seeing great work at some moment every day.
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
- If you don’t know where you are going,
you’ll end up someplace else.
- The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke
- First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
- The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
- Dream big and dare to fail.
For Work and Business
- It is the familiar that usually eludes us in life. What is before our noses is what we see last.
- Men do less than they ought, unless they do all they can.
- We are all faced with a series of great opportunities – brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems.
- The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.
Oliver W. Holmes
- We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough.
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
- In every difficult situation is potential value. Believe this, then begin looking for it.
Norman Vincent Peale
- You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.
- Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
Leon J. Suenes
- In doubtful matters boldness is everything.
- An oak is not felled at one blow.
- Do or do not. There is no try.
- The whole universe is change and life itself is but what you deem it.
- Men’s best successes come after their disappointments.
Henry Ward Beecher
- Amazing how we can light tomorrow with today.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- He turns not back who is bound to a star.
Leonardo Da Vinci
- Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
- Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- The best way out is always through.
- Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgment difficult.
- Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
- Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think.
- If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.
- Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
- Life is a play.
It’s not its length,
but its performance that counts.
Seneca — Who was Seneca? Find out at Wikipedia.
- If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.
St. Clement of Alexandra
- Fortune favors the brave.
- Change is not merely necessary to life, it is life.
- Happiness is like a butterfly.
The more you chase it, the more it eludes you.
But if you turn your attention to other things,
It comes and sits softly on your shoulder.
Henry David Thoreau
- After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
- Work spares us from three evils: boredom, vice, and need.
- Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on. Samuel Butler
- A failure is a man who has blundered, but is not able to cash in on the experience.
- Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.
- Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
William B. Sprague
- You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.
Sayings to Inspire
- Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing those you hold well.
- The purpose of life is a life of purpose.
- We must be willing to relinquish the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
- The grand essentials of life are something to do, something to love, something to hope for.
- Govern thy life and thoughts as if the whole world were to see the one, and read the other.
- Life is something like a trumpet. If you don’t put anything in you don’t get anything out.
W. C. Handy
- The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.
- To change one’s life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.
- The great blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it.
- Well begun is half done.
- He who moves not forward goes backward.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Everything that happens to us leaves some trace behind; everything contributes imperceptibly to make us what we are.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Life is a child playing around your feet, a tool you hold firmly in your grip, a bench you sit down upon in the evening, in your garden.
- Life is a pure flame,
and we live by an invisible sun within us.
Sir Thomas Brown
- One life – a little gleam of time between two eternities.
- We are all motivated by a keen desire for praise, and the better a man is, the more he is inspired to glory.
- Along with success comes a reputation for wisdom.
- Life is a rich strain of music, suggesting a realm too fair to be.
George William Curtis
- We make our fortunes, and we call them fate.
Earl of Beaconsfield
- Keep steadily before you the fact that all true success depends at last upon yourself.
Theodore T. Hunger
- Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
- That state of life is most happy where superfluities are not required and necessities are not wanting.
- The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it.
- The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague.
Who shall say where one ends, and the other begins?
Edgar Alan Poe
- Life without endeavor is like entering a jewel mine and coming out with empty hands.
- They can because they think they can.
- I made my life my monument.
- Life isn’t a matter of milestones, but of moments.
- Life’s a voyage that’s homeward bound.
- Clever people master life; the wise illuminate it and create fresh difficulties.
- We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
- The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen.
Frank Loyd Wright — If you’re ever near southwest Wisconsin, make a point to visit Taliesin – Frank Lloyd Wright’s house. Very cool!
- The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed.
Richard Brinsley Sheridan
- There is only one success — to be able to spend your life in your own way.
- Success is more a function of consistent common sense than it is of genius.
- Failures to heroic minds are the stepping stones to success.
Thomas Chandler Haliburton
- The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows.
- Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
- Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases.
- I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure — which is: Try to please everybody.
Herbert Bayard Swope
- Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.
Booker T. Washington
- Success does not consist in never making blunders, but in never making the same one a second time.
- Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration and inspiration.
- He is great enough who is his own master.
- If you wish success in life, make perseverance your bosom friend, experience your wise counselor, caution your elder brother, and hope your guardian genius.
- Impatience never commanded success.
Edwin H. Chapin
- Careful thinking and hard work will solve nearly all your problems. Try and see for yourself.
- The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do, well.
Henry W. Longfellow
- A goal is a dream with a deadline.
- In everything the ends well defined are the secret of durable success.
- Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another.
Words to Motivate
- Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?
- Things won are done; joy’s soul lies in the doing.
- I am always more interested in what I am about to do than what I have already done.
- The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain.
- Every ceiling, when reached, becomes a floor, upon which one walks as a matter of course and prescriptive right.
- He who would arrive at the appointed end must follow a single road and not wander through many ways.
- Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; while others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than before.
- In all things that you do, consider the end.
- Life can be pulled by goals just as surely as it can be pushed by drives.
- The virtue lies in the struggle, not in the prize.
Richard Monckton Milnes
- To reach a port, we must sail – Sail, not tie at anchor – Sail, not drift.
- Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind.
You might also enjoy these other collections: