The two most storied NFL franchises. The Black-and-Blue Division. Coaches like Vince Lombardi and George Halas. The venues: Lambeau Field and Soldier Field. Players like Ditka, Farve, Nitchske, Sayers, Starr and Payton. Fan bases who love their teams. Winning histories. Championships.
NFL’s Best Rivalry: Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears
The best rivalry in the NFL takes place when the Green Bay Packers play the Chicago Bears.
Why is the rivalry so intense?
- Winning traditions: Between the 2 teams, they possess 22 NFL Championships. There’s a reason they call Green Bay “Titletown” and Chicago is #2 on the all-time list. The 1962 Packers and the 1985 Bears are amongst the most dominant teams that ever played.
- The competitive level of games: Both of these teams consistently field strong teams and their games bring out the best. With both teams in the same conference, frequently the games have real impact on the success of the season.
- Number of games: There have been 189 games between the two teams – the most in NFL history. Usually, the two teams play each other twice a season.
- History: The rivalry began in 1921 with many memorable games played since. The Bears hold a slight edge: 93-90, with 6 ties. However, the Packers have won 10 of the last 12 match-ups.
- Players make games: 48 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame come from the Packers and the Bears.
- Geography: The proximity of Wisconsin and Illinois means that fans of both teams encounter each other on a regular basis. It’s about a 4 hour drive from Lambeau Field to Soldier Field.
- Big city vs. small town: Chicago is the high rise city of the Midwest. Green Bay is the smallest town to field a team in the NFL. The contrast between the two home cities is one of the most pronounced in the league.
- Big wins and heartbreaking losses: From Chester Marco running in a blocked field goal for a deciding score to the Bears winning a defensive struggle: 2 – 0.
- Both Green Bay and Chicago are football towns: There’s no denying that both fan bases love their football and love their teams.
In the latest encounter today, Aaron Rodgers threw for 4 TD’s to lead the Packers to a 38 – 17 win over the Packers on September 28, 2014.
Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears Rivalry – NBC