Dance quotes come natural to many folks because they enjoy describing things they love to do. Philosophers for centuries have claimed that it is one of the purest and most passionate forms of expression. And the best thing about it is that you don’t have to be a perfectionist to enjoy the art.
Whether you are a dancer, someone inspiring to be one or want to share the spirit with a loved one or friend, this collection will give you a lot to think about. Enjoy!
Best Dance Quotes
- To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak.
- Dancers are athletes of God.
- I did everything he did, but backwards and in high heels.
- Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass; it’s about learning to dance in the rain.
- A star danced, and under that was I born.
- You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching, Love like you’ll never be hurt, Sing like there’s nobody listening, And live like it’s heaven on earth.
William W. Purkey
- Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances.
- Dancing is creating a sculpture that is visible only for a moment.
Quotations About Dancing
- Dancers have a very hard job. We must take our ugly, callused, blistered, and bruised feet and present them in a way so that they are mistaken as the most beautiful things on Earth.
- Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here we should dance.
- Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made.
- Socrates learned to dance when he was 70 because he felt that an essential part of himself had been neglected.
- When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way.
- Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts. For it is no mere translation or abstraction of life. It is life itself.
Henry Havelock Ellis
- Dance is an art that imprints on the soul. It is with you every moment, it expresses itself in everything you do.
You Make me Feel Like Dancing
- And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
- Dancing: The highest intelligence in the freest body.
Isadora Duncan tweet
- There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good.
- To touch, to move, to inspire. This is the true gift of dance.
- Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn’t music.
- Dancing allows me to explore myself in so many ways, to learn about my limitations and strengths, my ability to cope with adversity and to go farther than I thought I could. You find out what you’re made of.
- It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.
Check out our Dancing Team Names.
Famous Dance Sayings
- Dance is meditation in movement, a walking into silence where every movement becomes prayer.
- Dancing is surely the most basic and relevant of all forms of expression. Nothing else can so effectively give outward form to an inner experience.
- Learning to walk sets you free. Learning to dance gives you the greatest freedom of all: to express with your whole self, the person you are.
- Classical dancing is like being a mother: if you’ve never done it, you can’t imagine how hard it is.
- Good choreography fuses eye, ear, and mind.
- I’d rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.
- A fine picture is but the image of nature; a finished ballet is nature herself.
Motivational Dance Quotes
- Fine dancing, I believe like virtue, must be its own reward. Those who are standing by are usually thinking of something very different.
- First comes the sweat. Then comes the beauty if you’re very lucky and have said your prayers.
- On with the dance! Let joy be unconfined.
- The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.
The Universal Language
- Dance first. Think later. It’s the natural order.
- All there is to be said for work compared to dance is that the latter is so much easier.
- Dancing is the poetry of the foot.
Funny Dance Quotes
- Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.
- Just don’t plan to marry anyone who dislikes dancing; it’ll probably win in the end!
- I think if you give in and accept society’s stereotypes, then you start thinking, ‘I cannot dance till late at night because I’m 70.’
- When I have bad days, I just eat lots of chocolate ice cream and dance to the ‘Lion King’ soundtrack. It’s really odd, but it’s true.
- When you are on stage you are having an affair with three thousand people.
- When you are fifty, you’re neither young nor old; you’re just uninteresting. When you are sixty, and still dancing, you become something of a curiosity. And boy! if you hit seventy, and can still get a foot off the ground, you’re phenomenal!
Ruth St. Denis
- To sing well and to dance is to be well educated.
- But oh, she dances such a way!
No sun upon an Easter-day
Is half so fine a sight
Sir John Suckling
- A cathedral, a wave of a storm, a dancer’s leap, never turn out to be as high as we had hoped.
- Dancing is wonderful training for girls; it’s the first way you learn to guess what a man is going to do before he does it.
- It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
- Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable.
- They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon.
Dancing the Night Away
- Dancing’s just a conversation between two people. Talk to me.
- He who cannot dance puts the blame on the floor.
- The spine is the tree of life. Respect it.
- Great dancers are not great because of their technique; they are great because of their passion.
- You’ll learn, as you get older, that rules are made to be broken. Be bold enough to live life on your terms, and never, ever apologize for it. Go against the grain, refuse to conform, take the road less traveled instead of the well-beaten path. Laugh in the face of adversity, and leap before you look. Dance as though everybody is watching. March to the beat of your own drummer. And stubbornly refuse to fit in.
- We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
- There are shortcuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them.
- Opportunity dances with those who are already on the dance floor.
- If you want to be the best, baby, you’ve got to work harder than anybody else.
Sammy Davis Jr.
- Dancing faces you towards Heaven, whichever direction you turn.
- Dance for yourself. If someone else understands, good. If not, no matter. Go right on doing what interests you, and do it until it stops interesting you.
- Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.
Dirty Dancing Quotations (Movie)
- It’s not on the one, it’s not the mambo. It’s a feeling; a heartbeat
- Oh, come on, ladies. God wouldn’t have given you maracas if He didn’t want you to shake ’em!
- Frances “Baby” Houseman: So you’re really a Rockette? I think you’re a wonderful dancer.
Penny Johnson: Yeah, well, my mother kicked me out when I was 16. I’ve been dancing ever since. It’s the only thing I ever wanted to do anyway.
Frances “Baby” Houseman: I envy you.
- I’m gonna do my kind of dancin’ with a great partner, who’s not only a terrific dancer; somebody who’s taught me that there are people willing to stand up for other people no matter what it costs them; somebody who’s taught me about the kind of person I wanna be.
- Dance is the hidden language of the soul
- Dance is a little insanity that does us all a lot of good.
- Dance helps us dream bigger dreams and understand our connectedness. When we close our eyes and dream, we are all brothers.
- God respects you when you work, but he loves you when you dance.
Common Whirling Dervish Proverb
- The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word.
- And when they ask you, ‘what is your church?’ you say, ‘I dance.’
- Love is a lot like dancing; you just surrender to the music.
Check out the 10 Greatest Dancing Sensations of the 20th Century
Dance Team (Unknown)
- If you stumble, make it part of the dance.
- Dancing with the feet is one thing, Dancing with the heart is another.
- Changing the world one dance at a time.
- Dancing first; Think later.
- Stop worrying about what can go wrong, and get excited about what can go right.
- Without dancing, what’s the pointe?
- Life would be better if we wore more tutus.
- When in doubt, dance it out.
- Without dance I cannot feel my soul, hear my heart, or see my dreams.
- To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful.. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking.
Agnes de Mille
- Do it big, do it right, and do it with style.
- Dancing is like dreaming with your feet.
- You have to love dancing to stick to it. It gives you nothing back, no manuscripts to store away, no paintings to show on walls and maybe hang in museums, no poems to be printed and sold, nothing but that single fleeting moment when you feel alive.
- Please send me your last pair of shoes, worn out with dancing as you mentioned in your letter, so that I might have something to press against my heart.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Dancing: the vertical expression of a horizontal desire legalized by music.
George Bernard Shaw
- Everything in the universe has rhythm. Everything dances.
- Ballet is not technique but a way of expression that comes more closely to the inner language of man than any other.
Two Left Feet
- To dance is to reach for a word that doesn’t exist, To sing the heartsong of a thousand generations, To feel the meaning of a moment in time.
- Dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education; dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with the pen?
- Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.
George Bernard Shaw
- Work like you don’t need the money. Love like you’ve never been hurt. Dance like nobody’s watching.
Satchel Paige – More Quotations From Satchel Paige
- Hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon.
- When a body moves, it’s the most revealing thing. Dance for me a minute, and I’ll tell you who you are.
- When a dancer comes onstage, he is not just a blank slate that the choreographer has written on. Behind him he has all the decisions he has made in life each time, he has chosen, and in what he is onstage, you see the result of those choices. You are looking at the person he is, and the person who, at this point, he cannot help but be exceptional dancers, in my experience, are also exceptional people, people with an attitude toward life, a kind of quest, and an internal quality. They know who they are, and they show this to you, willingly.
- No dancer can watch Fred Astaire and not know that we all should have been in another business.
- I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself.
- When I miss class for one day, I know it. When I miss class for two days, my teacher knows it. And When I miss class for three days, the audience knows it.
- Technique is what you fall back on when you run out of inspiration.
- You live as long as you dance.
Please let us know any suggestions for more dance quotes on the Contact page. We appreciate your input.