These climbing quotes and captions place you in the great outdoors with a challenge ahead. What could be better? You’ll be inspired and motivated to make your next climbing adventure.
10 Best Climbing Quotes
- Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.
- You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.
- Climbing is not a battle with the elements, nor against the law of gravity. It’s a battle against oneself.
- A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it.
Sir Martin Conway
- He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.
- By climbing mountains we were not learning how big we were. We were finding out how breakable, how weak and how full of fear we are.
- Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.
- One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because they are enlightened.
Zen Master Futomaki
- There’s no glory in climbing a mountain if all you want to do is to get to the top. It’s experiencing the climb itself – in all its moments of revelation, heartbreak, and fatigue – that has to be the goal.
- Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
Good Climbing Quotes
- Climbing is an artistic, creative thing; it’s about being spontaneous, traveling, seeing the world, hanging out. It’s a balance of setting goals while enjoying the process, being ambitious without being too competitive.
- When you go to the mountains, you see them and you admire them. In a sense, they give you a challenge, and you try to express that challenge by climbing them.
- Climbing here saved my life from the confines of materialistic illusion that we’re taught as children in school. The way I see it, there are two worlds: there’s the world where nothing is sacred except money, and the other world where everything is sacred.
- Jumping from boulder to boulder and never falling, with a heavy pack, is easier than it sounds; you just can’t fall when you get into the rhythm of the dance.
- The rope connecting two men on a mountain is more than nylon protection; it is an organic thing that transmits subtle messages of intent and disposition from man to man; it is an extension of the tactile senses, a psychological bond, a wire along which currents of communication flow.
- Climbing is one of the few sports in which the arena. The cliffs, the mountains and their specific routes acquire a notoriety that out populates, outshines and outlives the actual athletes.
- I find that rock climbing is the finest, most healthiest sport in the whole world. It is much healthier than most. Look at baseball, where 10,000 sit on their ass to watch a handful of players.
- There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.
Short Climbing Quotes
- Anytime you finish a climb, there’s always the next thing you can try.
- You have to climb the hill to reach the summit, thinking won’t get you there.
- We are apes – we should be climbing.
- It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun.
- The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun!
- Climbing is not a spectator sport.
- Fain would I climb, yet fear I to fall.
- To be a climber one has to accept that gratification is rarely immediate.
- Climbing is as close as we can come to flying.
- I go to seek a great perhaps.
Mountain Climbing Quotations
- I may climb perhaps to no great heights, but I will climb alone.
Cyrano de Bergerac
- We can climb mountains with self-love.
- When preparing to climb a mountain – pack a light heart.
- Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.
- Climbing is hard to give up, it’s just as hard to give up as cigarettes.
- Climbing is, above all, a matter of integrity.
- When you reach the top, that’s when the climb begins.
- Better we raise our skill than lower the climb.
- Climbing is my art; I get so much joy and gratification from it.
- Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.
- Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous.
- In order to climb up the mountain, I must first climb out of my fear of climbing.
Craig D Lounsbrough
- If thy heart fails thee, climb not at all.
Motivational Climbing Sayings
- Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.
- Climbing is all about freedom, the freedom to go beyond all the rules and take a chance, to experience something new, to gain insight into human nature.
- Highest of heights, I climb this mountain and feel one with the rock and grit and solitude echoing back at me.
- The most dangerous thing you can do in life is play it safe.
- Climbing to the top demands strength, whether it is to the top of Mount Everest or to the top of your career.
A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- What advantages do we hope to gain from climbing mountains? Naturally, there is the pleasure we get from the climbing process itself and from our victories, but as well as the delights of exercise in a mountain environment, there is also the process, coming every time as a surprise, of self-discovery deepening a little further with every climb.
- In rock climbing, people get strong enough, and then they pick goals they can do with their strengths at that moment.
- Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
David McCullough Jr.
- As a professional climber, that’s the question you always get: Why, why, why? It’s an ineffable thing; you can’t describe it.
- Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
The View from Mount Everest’s Summit
Inspirational Climbing Quotations
- Stand tall on the summit after a tedious climb. Take in the remarkable scenery and the exhilaration of accomplishment. But don’t pause for long; there are greater mountains to climb while you still possess the drive and capacity to do so.
Richelle E. Goodrich
- Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.
- The summit is what drives us, but the climb itself is what matters.
- Everyone wants to live on the top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.
- The best view comes after the hardest climb.
- The climb might be tough and challenging, but the view is worth it. There is a purpose for that pain; you just can’t always see it right away.
- Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
- There are a dozen reasons for climbing, some bad, and I’ve used most of them myself. The worst are fame and money. Commonly people cite exploration or discovery, but that’s rarely relevant in today’s world. The only good reason to climb is to improve yourself.
- The harder you fall, the heavier your heart; the heavier your heart, the stronger you climb; the stronger you climb, the higher your pedestal.
- Without a rope there is no fear because to fall is unthinkable.
- The best part of climbing is when it all clicks and gravity ceases to exist.
- Never did I explore life as intensively in its beautiness, as while hanging on two fingertips freely over the deep hollow.
Cool Climbing Sayings
- In climbing, you are always faced with new problems in which you must perform using intuitive movements, and then later analyze them to figure out why they work, and then learn from them.
- You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.
- The tops of mountains are among the unfinished parts of the globe, whether it is a slight insult to the gods to climb and pry into their secrets and try their effect on our humanity. Only daring and insolent men, perchance, go there.
Henry David Thoreau
- The length of the fall is dictated by how far we had climbed. The outcome of the fall is dictated by whether we’re holding on to that which we’re climbing, or we’re letting God hold onto us.
Craig D. Lounsbrough
- Climbing is unadulterated hard labor. The only real pleasure is the satisfaction of going where no man has been before and where few can follow.
Annie Smith Peck
Motivating Climbing Quotes
- Climbing is often a group activity and it’s always inspiring to see how other people, who share your passions, do things.
- Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it.
- In some ways, climbing in the clouds is comforting. You can no longer see how high off the ground you are.
- It’s always further than it looks. It’s always taller than it looks. And it’s always harder than it looks.
- For a climber, saying that you are stopping by Everest is like saying that you are stopping by to see God.
- The mountains are calling and I must go.
- All good things are wild and free.
- Stop staring at mountains. Climb them instead, yes, it’s a harder process but it will lead you to a better view.
- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
- Hike more. Worry less.
- Restless spirit.
- Chalk up and climb.
- Dear Mountains, Until we meet again.
- Coffee, Mountains, Adventure.
- I haven’t peaked yet.
- Born 2 Boulder.
- I like to get high.
- You call it rock climbing, I call it Ninja Training.
- Rock Hugger, but Alive!
- On a date with the mountains.
Instagram Caption Ideas for Climbers
- Do you even climb, Bro?
- Life’s a climb but the view is great.
- Chalk dirty to me.
- Rock climbing is therapy.
- Go climb a rock.
- OCD: Obsessive Climbing Disorder.
- I’d climb that.
- I’m either climbing or thinking about it.
- Chalked, Locked, and Ready to Rock.
- Climbing: Only for the Brave.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.
- Born to climb, forced to work.
- Gravity is a myth.
- Will belay for beer.
- It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
- You won’t fall if you don’t climb, but there’s no joy in living your whole life on the ground.
— Jon Edwards
Jon writes about sports and adventure.
You’re on our Inspirational Climbing Quotes and Captions page.
You might like: