Young athletes, heck all people, perform their best when they’re confident. The right words chosen by coaches and parents can go a long way in instilling confidence.
Before, during and after practice, coaches should look for ways to build players’ confidence. Here are some examples:
Coach’s Words of Encouragement
- Well done!
- Just like Jeter (or Jordan for basketball)
- Yes! Yes! Super effort!
- That’s the way – uh-huh, uh-huh – I like it!
- 5 Stars!
- That’s exactly right.
- Someone’s been practicing.
- Nicely done!
- I’m proud of you.
- You have improved a lot.
- Way better than before.
- Super work!
- Keep it up!
- You’ve got the hang of it.
- You’re right on track.
- Great job!
- Your effort is paying off.
- You’re almost there!
- I think you have figured it out.
- Not bad.
- You’re looking great.
- Wow, you’re a fast learner.
- That is correct.
- Good for you!
- You’re making the coaches look good.
- You should feel good about your progress.
- Much better!
Check out this list of words of encouragement and support.
Encouraging Words for Players
- You must have been practicing.
- You should feel good about yourself
- I couldn’t have done any better myself.
- I think if you do it once more, you’ll have down pat.
- Terrific job!
- Great effort.
- I enjoy coaching players like you.
- That’s the right way to do it.
- Give yourself a pat on the back.
- Good work!
- Sensational work!
- Now the wheels are turning.
Confidence is King
- Excellent work!
- I’m impressed with your hustle.
- Now that’s the kind of effort that makes me happy.
- It is a pleasure to work with a player like you.
- This is your best work yet.
- You got it!
- Wow, what an improvement!
- I knew you could do it.
- Team, watch how (fill in player’s name) does it.
- It’s fun watching you play
- Just like the pros do it
- Two thumbs up!
- If I looked up “star” in the dictionary, your photo would be by it.
- Ginormous effort – keep it up!
- Superstar is what you are!
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is an author and editor of Sports Feel Good Stories.
You might like: