Great running quotes for beginners to pros. Looking for some inspiring running quotes for your cross-country team, track team, or running club? You’ve come to the right place.
After reading our extensive collection of running quotes, you will get so pumped up you’ll probably want to lace up the shoes and go for a run. Enjoy!
Best Running Quotations
- Cross Country: No half times, no time outs, no substitutions. It must be the only true sport.
- No one ever drowned in sweat.
- Cross Country — Finally a practical use for golf courses.
- Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you’d better be running.
- The will to win is worthless, without the will to prepare.
- In running, it doesn’t matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say ‘I have finished.’ There is a lot of satisfaction in that.
Check out A Boston Marathon Feel Good Story
Famous Running Quotes
- The true test of a man’s character is what he does when he knows he won’t get caught.
- Sunshine is delicious,
Rain is refreshing,
Wind braces us up,
Snow is exhilarating,
There’s really no such thing as bad weather,
Only different kinds of good weather.
- Some people don’t have the guts for distance racing. The polite term for them is sprinters.
- Your sweat is your fat crying. Keep it up.
Author Unknown (Note: These running quotes are frequently seen on Cross Country team warm-ups shirts, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and other apparel.)
- Cross Country philosophy — the faster you run the faster you’re done.
- It’s rude to count people as you pass them. Out loud.
- Those who say that I will lose and am finished will have to run over my body to beat me.
- Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character.
T. Alan Armstrong
- The greatest pleasure in life is doing the things people say we cannot do.
You might like 61-year-old farmer wins ultra-marathon.
Cross Country Quotes
- Running is a lot like life. Only 10 percent of it is exciting. 90 percent of it is slog and drudge.
- I think people can handle 150 to 200 miles a week. But something has to give somewhere. If he’s a student, how’s he going to study? He may be at the age of chasing and courtship, and that’s an important form of sport and recreation, too.
- My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.
- A lot of people don’t realize that about 98 percent of the running I put in is anything but glamorous: 2 percent joyful participation, 98 percent dedication! It’s a tough formula. Getting out in the forest in the biting cold and the flattening heat, and putting in kilometer after kilometer.
Rob de Castella
- Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste death but once.
- Run hard, be strong, think big!
Roger Bannister Quotes on Running
- It is a paradox to say the human body has no ‘limit.’ There must be a limit to the speed at which men can run. I feel this may be around 3:30 for the mile. However, another paradox remains – if an athlete manages to run 3:30, another runner could be found to marginally improve on that time.
Sir Roger Bannister
- Sport is not about being wrapped up in cotton wool. Sport as about adapting to the unexpected and being able to modify plans at the last minute – Sport, like all life, is about taking risks.
Sir Roger Bannister
- If I faltered, there would be no arms to hold me and the world would be a cold and forbidding place.
Sir Roger Bannister
Here’s a fun article on running: How One Kenyan Tribe Produces the World’s Best Runners
Good Running Quotations
- The nine inches right here; set it straight and you can beat anybody in the world.
Sebastian Coe, holding his fingers up to his head
- The great thing about athletics is that it’s like poker, sometimes you know what’s in your hand and it may be a load of rubbish, but you’ve got to keep up the front.
- Tomorrow is another day, and there will be another battle!
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- To win without risk is to triumph without glory.
Funny Running Quotes
- All it takes is all you got.
- Good things come slow – especially in distance running.
- Run like hell and get the agony over with.
- The five S’s of sports training are Stamina, Speed, Strength, Skill, and Spirit;
but the greatest of these is Spirit.
- The only tactics I admire are do-or-die.
- I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart.
- Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when awareness comes, it is excruciating.
- Don’t bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors.
Try to be better than yourself.
- Somewhere in the world, someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win.
Tom Fleming’s Boston Marathon training sign on his wall
- The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy…It is not age; it is not diet – It is the will to succeed.
- You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face.
- The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.
- Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
- It is true that speed kills. In distance running, it kills anyone who does not have it.
- If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want — Why? Because
(a) you’ll burn all the calories you consume,
(b) you deserve it, and
(c) you’ll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway.
- The thing about Pre is that he ran as hard as he could every race, and if you were going to beat him, you were going to have to run harder than he did.
- When you are an up-and-coming runner in the U.S., and making some breakthroughs in distances, Pre is still the man that you are compared to. It’s always based on Pre.
- If you want to make God laugh, just try and make plans for the future.
- Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?’
- I haven’t seen too many American distance men on the international scene willing to take risks. I saw some U.S. women in Barcelona willing to risk, more than men. The Kenyans risk. Steve Prefontaine risked. I risked – I went through the first half of the Tokyo race just a second off my best 5000 times.
- Only think of two things — the report of the pistol and the tape. When you hear one, run like hell, until you break the other.
- Mind is everything: muscle – pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind.
- Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You’ve always got to make the mind take over and keep going.
George S. Patton
- Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don’t think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made.
Patti Sue Plumer
- A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways as they’re capable of understanding.
- A lot of people run a race to see who’s the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts.
- My whole feeling in terms of racing is that you have to be very bold. You sometimes have to be aggressive and gamble.
Tip: These running quotes make great Instagram captions and Facebook posts.
- Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
- When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
- I had as many doubts as anyone else. Standing on the starting line, we’re all cowards.
- The marathon is like a bullfight. There are two ways to kill a bull, for instance. There is the easy way, for one. But all the great matadors end up either dead or mauled because them killing the bull is not nearly as important as how they kill the bull. They always approach the bull at the greatest risk to themselves, and I admire that. In the marathon, likewise, there are two ways to win. There’s the easy way if all you care about is winning. You hang back and risk nothing. Then kick and try to nip the leaders at the end. Or you can push, challenge the others, make it an exciting race, risking everything. Maybe you lose, but as for me, I’d rather run a gutsy race, pushing all the way and lose, than run a conservative, easy race only for a win.
- It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.
- Listen to your body. Do not be a blind and deaf tenant.
Dr. George Sheehan
- The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat.
- Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.
- I prefer to remain in blissful ignorance of the opposition. That way I’m not frightened by anyone’s reputation.
- Believe in yourself, know yourself, deny yourself, and be humble.
For High School Runners
- Good judgment is the result of experience. Experience is the result of bad judgment.
- Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better.
- Dream barriers look very high until someone climbs them. They are not barriers anymore.
- Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.
Booker T. Washington
- Running is real and relatively simple — but it ain’t easy.
- Once you’re beat mentally, you might as well not even go to the starting line.
- We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.
- Do you have some ideas for great running quotes? Send them our way. Use “running quotes” as the subject headline. Thanks for providing us ideas on running quotes!
Inspirational Quotes and Sayings
You might like: