Looking for inspirational sports quotes that will inspire a team for a big contest? Or, those motivational words to get a team ready for a big game? Or, maybe some funny quotations for your season-ending team banquet?
These notable words can be used for locker room encouragement, coach to player communication, and sometimes just for entertainment purposes. For whatever reason to review these, we hope you enjoy them.
Best Sports Quotes
The quotes below are grouped together by sport.
- People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
- Every hitter likes fastballs, just like everybody likes ice cream. But you don’t like it when someone’s stuffing it into you by the gallon. That’s what it feels like when Nolan Ryan’s thrown balls by you.
- There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
- I’ve come to the conclusion that the two most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen.
- Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire’s eye or on the ball.
- Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.
George F. Will
More of the Best Baseball
Basketball – Famous Quotes
- Some say you have to use your five best players, but I found out you win with the five that fit together best as a team.
- Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best.
- You can’t be afraid to fail. It’s the only way you succeed…you’re not gonna succeed all the time, and I know that.
- I’ve missed over 9,000 shots in my career.
I’ve lost almost 300 games.
26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed.
I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life.
And that is why I succeed.
- There are really only two plays: Romeo and Juliet, and put the darn ball in the basket.
- Successful programs consist of people working hard, working together, while never worrying about who gets the credit.
You might like Famous Sports Quotes.
- When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team.
- If you make every game a life and death proposition, you’re going to have problems. For one thing, you’ll be dead a lot.
- My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.
More of the Best Basketball
- Cricket is a most precarious profession; it is called a team game but, in fact, no one is so lonely as a batsman facing a bowler supported by ten fieldsmen and observed by two umpires to ensure that his error does not go unpunished.
John Arlott, An Eye for Cricket
- My approach to cricket has been reasonably simple: it was about giving everything to the team, it was about playing with dignity and it was about upholding the spirit of the game. I hope I have done some of that. I have failed at times, but I have never stopped trying. It is why I leave with sadness but also with pride.
- In the game of cricket, it has always been customary to accord more adulation to batsman than to bowlers.
I.A.R. Peebles, Talking of Cricket
- More of the Best Cricket
- The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, running down their friends, side-stepping responsibility, and pushing their luck!
- The word aerobics comes from two Greek words: aero, meaning ‘ability to,’ and bics, meaning ‘withstand tremendous boredom.’
- It is exercise alone that supports the spirits and keeps the mind in vigor.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
- I still need more healthy rest in order to work at my best. My health is the main capital I have and I want to administer it intelligently.
- Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.
- Processed foods not only extend the shelf life, but they extend the waistline as well.
More of the Best Fitness Sayings
- You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.
- If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead.
- It’s not the will to win that matters-everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.
Paul Bear Bryant
- To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you.
- A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback – but not necessarily in that order.
Bud Grant – Learn more about Bud’s team – The Minnesota Vikings Fan Guide
- There are several differences between a football game and a revolution. For one thing, a football game usually lasts longer and the participants wear uniforms. Also, there are usually more casualties in a football game. The object of the game is to move a ball past the other team’s goal line. This counts as six points. No points are given for lacerations, contusions, or abrasions, but then no points are deducted, either. Kicking is very important in football. In fact, some of the more enthusiastic players even kick the ball, occasionally.
- Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there.
- The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer.
- When it comes to football, God is prejudiced – toward big, fast kids.
More of the Best Football
- A “gimme” can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers, neither of whom can putt very well.
- I had a wonderful experience on the golf course today. I had a hole in nothing. Missed the ball and sank the divot.
- When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls.
- One of the advantages bowling has over golf is that you seldom lose a bowling ball.
- Golf is a game in which you yell “fore,” shoot six and write down five.
- Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots – but you have to play the ball where it lies.
- I play in the low 80s. If it’s any hotter than that, I won’t play.
Joe E. Lewis
More of the Best Golf Quotes
- I don’t run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run towards it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your foot.
- Gymnastics has made me strong. I feel like it broke me down to my lowest point, but at the same time, it has given me the greatest strength anyone could ask for.
- If there has not been such a thing as gymnastics, I would have had to invent it because I feel at one with the sport.
- There is always going to be a reason why you can’t do something; your job is to constantly look for the reasons why you can achieve your dreams.
- As much time as you put into it, that’s what your achievements are going to be when you come out of it.
Mary Lou Retton
- It’s important to push yourself further than you think you can go each and every day — as that is what separates the good from the great.
More of the Best Gymnastics
- Hockey players wear numbers because you can’t always identify the body with dental records.
- Great moments are born from great opportunities.
- Half the game is mental; the other half is being mental.
- How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?
- Hockey belongs to the Cartoon Network, where a person can be pancaked by an ACME anvil, then expanded – accordion-style – back to full stature, without any lasting side effect.
More of the Best Hockey Sayings.
- Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.
- Communication is the secret to success. Pass it on!
- The goalie. Lacrosse’s unsung hero. Keeper of the net. Last line of defense. A player whose contribution never shows up on the scoreboard at the end of a game, but whose efforts may have determined the outcome. They say there is a personality-a “type”- that tends to choose the same position on the field. Attackers like the limelight. Defenders crave the physicality. Midfielders like a sampling of both. And goalies only function with the weight of the world on their shoulders. After all, goalies are people who voluntarily put themselves in the line of fire. And the good ones never flinch.
- I thought lacrosse was what you find in la church.
More of the Best Lacrosse
- It’s rude to count people as you pass them. Out loud.
- A lot of people don’t realize that about 98 percent of the running I put in is anything but glamorous: 2 percent joyful participation, 98 percent dedication! It’s a tough formula. Getting out in the forest in the biting cold and the flattening heat, and putting in kilometer after kilometer.
Rob de Castella
- The nine inches right here; set it straight and you can beat anybody in the world.
Sebastian Coe, holding his fingers up to his head
- Good things come slow – especially in distance running.
- Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when awareness comes, it is excruciating.
More of the Best Running Quotations.
- Why is there only one ball for 22 players? If you gave a ball to each of them, they’d stop fighting for it.
- Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
- You might like Lionel Messi Quotes.
- Soccer is not about justice. It’s a drama, and criminally wrong decisions against you are part and parcel of that.
- Failure happens all the time. It happens every day in practice. What makes you better is how you react to it.
- Whoever invented football should be worshipped as a God.
- If I walked on water, my accusers would say it is because I can’t swim.
More of the Best Soccer Quotations.
- We’re prepared, and we’ve done everything we can to prepare for this moment in time. That’s what confidence is all about.
- And my dad drilled it in my head, you know, “If you want it bad enough, and you’re willing to make the sacrifices, you can do it. But first, you have to believe in yourself.”
- If what you did yesterday still looks big to you today, then you must not have done anything today.
- Don’t think you’re too good to sit and root for your team, be a team player.
More of the Best Softball Quotations
- I concentrate on preparing to swim my race and let the other swimmers think about me, not me about them.
- I wouldn’t say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it.
- I actually love swimming but I just hate jumping in the water.
- When you are behind, don’t give up; when you are ahead, don’t let up.
- The swimmer who says, “It can’t be done” is passed by the swimmer who is doing it.
More of the Best Swimming
- Nothing can substitute for just plain hard work. I had to put in the time to get back. And it was a grind. It meant training and sweating every day. But I was completely committed to working out to prove to myself that I still could do it.
- True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
- If you can react the same way to winning and losing, that’s a big accomplishment. That quality is important because it stays with you for the rest of your life, and there’s going to be a life after tennis that’s a lot longer than your tennis life.
- When I was 40, my doctor advised me that a man in his 40s shouldn’t play tennis. I heeded his advice carefully and could hardly wait until I reached 50 to start again.
Hugo L. Black
- Experience is a great advantage. The problem is that when you get the experience, you’re too damned old to do anything about it.
- I fear no one but respect everyone.
More of the Best Tennis Sayings
- Volleyball is the sport through which I am able to express my God-given talents of being an athlete. It is a sport that involves relating, pushing, and encouraging your teammates. It has helped evolve me into the person I am today.
- Most people put a hat and glasses on to go incognito. I take them off.
- It takes a lot of hard work and dedication just like any pro sport. Especially for beach volleyball, you don’t have to be tall or as fast as other sports. You just have to have the skills.
More of the Best Volleyball
Wrestling – Sports Quotes
- The harder you work, the luckier you get.
- Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.
- I bring smiles to people’s faces. I also stand on people’s faces. Balance.
- Victory happens when ten thousand hours of training meets one moment of opportunity.
More of the Best Wrestling Quotes.
- For me, yoga is not just a workout – it’s about working on yourself.
- The pose begins when you want to leave it.
- Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind.
- The most important pieces of equipment you need for doing yoga are your body and your mind.
Don’t count the days, make the days count.
These quotations sayings can be used for a variety of reasons. Place them signs for the locker room. Put your favorite lines on posters for hallways. Use these sports quotes in speeches and presentations. Use them to motivate players and assistants. The power of words is amazing! There are thousands of sayings to choose from organized by each sport. In addition to these, we also feature pages devoted to sayings and slogans associated with a wide variety of sports including baseball, basketball, golf, football, tennis, wrestling, cross-country, running, hockey and more.
These fun-to-read, sports quotes come from a wide variety of speakers and sources including athletes, coaches, writers, humorists, announcer and more. What makes some worthy of inclusion on our list? Well, there’s not a quick answer to why we include some and leave others out. A big part of it has to do with whether the quote is memorable or not. The source of the quote also plays a significant role in our inclusion decisions.
If you have suggestions for other favorites you’d like to see in our collection, please use the contact us page and let us know.
You’re on our Sports Quotes page.