Greg Popovich quotes for coaches, parents, and players. The San Antonio Spurs coach is nothing if not quotable. And, his insights spread well beyond the hardwood courts.
The Best Greg Popovich Quotes
- A reporter started off: “I know a lot of this is kind of speculation.” Popovich interrupting: “You’re going to ask me anyway.” Reporter: “And you’re going to shoot it down.” Popovich replied: “Next question.”
- I don’t even understand the word happy. “Happy” is a stupid word. It really is. It makes no sense.
- Timmy, he’s the beginning of it. He doesn’t have to be the end all the time now.
- We would have two fewer championships here if it was not for Manu Ginobili. In my eyes, he’s the stud of the world.
Good Popovich Quotes
- It’s hard to appreciate or enjoy torture.
Greg Popovich when asked if he appreciated being in Game 7.
- I asked them if it wasn’t too much trouble if I wasn’t being too pushy if they could execute what we were trying to do. And if it didn’t make them too angry, if they also wanted to play some defense on the other end, that would be great.
- We didn’t send mariachi bands or birthday cards or breakfast in bed.
- We want your fanny back on the court, and I promise I’ll be nice. Get back here.
Greg Popovich to Craig Sager Jr. whose Dad was battling cancer.
Check out: Stephen A. Smith Quotes
- Now, ask me a couple of inane questions.
Greg Popovich to Craig Sager Sr. upon his return and after a hug.
- You have to make shots to win basketball games and we didn’t do that. You also have to get back on defense, so it was a double-whammy.
- In Phil’s case, I was personally thrilled he came back because I think it’s huge for the league. When you think about what he’s done and how many championships he’s won, there’s always drama when he comes back in.
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is a former basketball coach, author of three books on basketball, and the founder of Sports Feel Good Stories.
You’re on the Greg Popovich Quotes page.
You might like:
Also, check out: