You’re on Michael Jordan Quotes — see Basketball Link menu at bottom of the page.
Considered the greatest basketball player ever, Michael Jordan played the game with style and intensity to win that was unmatched. To gain a better understanding of this star athlete, take a look at some of his insights through these quotes.
The Best Michael Jordan Quotes
- You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.
- I’m not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.
- I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game-winning shot, and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
- I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.
- Failure is acceptable, but not trying is a whole different ballpark.
- I mean we all fly. Once you leave the ground, you fly. Some people fly longer than others.
- Learning’s a gift, even when pain is your teacher.
Check out Zion Williamson FAQs & Quotes.
Good Michael Jordan Quotes
- Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
- There is no “I” in team but there is in win.
- I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan Quotes On Playing Basketball
- Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.
- Live the moment for the moment.
- Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.
- Every time I feel tired while I am exercising and training, I close my eyes to see that picture, to see that list with my name. This usually motivates me to work again.
- My heroes are and were my parents. I can’t see having anyone else as my heroes.
- In college, I never realized the opportunities available to a pro athlete. I’ve been given the chance to meet all kinds of people, to travel and expand my financial capabilities, to get ideas and learn about life, to create a world apart from basketball.
- My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.
Michael Jordan Quotes on Expectations
- If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.
- If you quit once it becomes a habit. Never quit!
Basketball quotations by Jordan
- I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don’t do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results.
- There are plenty of teams in every sport that have great players and never win titles. Most of the time, those players aren’t willing to sacrifice for the greater good of the team. The funny thing is, in the end, their unwillingness to sacrifice only makes individual goals more difficult to achieve. One thing I believe to the fullest is that if you think and achieve as a team, the individual accolades will take care of themselves. Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.
- Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.
Inspiring Words by MJ
- I know fear is an obstacle for some people, but it is an illusion to me. Failure always made me try harder next time.
- I’d like to play in at least one All-Star game. –Before playing in the NBA.
- I’ve never been afraid to fail.
- In college, I never realized the opportunities available to a pro athlete. I’ve been given the chance to meet all kinds of people, to travel and expand my financial capabilities, to get ideas and learn about life to create a world apart from basketball.
- To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.
Check out: Kawhi Leonard Stats.
Michael Jordan on taking a Big Shot
- I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot. When you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result.
- You can practice shooting eight hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.
Air Jordan Wisdom
- I never thought a role model should be negative.
- Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.
- I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be aggressive. I had to get out there and go for it.
- One day, you might look up and see me playing the game at 50. Don’t laugh. Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.
- Yeah, for a little while. (When asked if he could fly.)
- If I had been playing for money I would have complained a long time ago that I was underpaid.
Michael Jordan Quotes On The Game
- The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace.
- The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether it’s proper technique, work ethic, or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.
- It’s heavy-duty to try to do everything and please everybody. My job was to go out there and play the game of basketball as best I can. People may not agree with that. I can’t live with what everyone’s impression of what I should or what I shouldn’t do.
- I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.
- My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn’t stand the sideline.
- I think he’s God disguised as Michael Jordan.
Larry Bird after a 63 point performance by Jordan in the playoffs
- He’s been the greatest player I’ve ever seen. And I’m probably a harsh judge of talent in the sense that I admire players that are really good defensive players and really good offensive players.
- This is a day that I had hoped would never come. It has to be the toughest day in the history of the Chicago Bulls. It’s a tough day for Chicago.
Jerry Reinsdorf, Chicago Bulls Chairman in 1999
- I can’t believe he hit that shot. I don’t know how he stayed in the air that long.
Brad Daughtery commenting on “The Shot”
I Like Mike
- To me, Jordan is the god of Basketball, and I think he will always be.
- I felt that at his time in the game he was the best defensive player in the game, but more importantly, he was the best offensive player. And he made his teams win.
- You don’t hesitate with Michael, or you’ll end up on some posters in a gift shop someplace.
Tip: These Michael Jordan Quotes work well for basketball photo captions, season-ending banquets, and hoop team websites.
Michael Jordan Age
Michael Jordan is 56 years old of age. His birthdate is February 17, 1963.
How old was Michael Jordan when he retired?
Jordan was 30 years old when he retired from the NBA for the first time in 1993. He tried professional baseball to mixed reviews. In 1995, he famously wrote, “I’m back,” and returned to the NBA.
From 1995 to 1998, the Jordan-led Bulls enjoyed their second three-peat. Jordan retired again on January 13, 1999. In 2001, he returned again to the NBA playing for the Washington Wizards. Jordan played his final NBA game on April 16, 2003, at the age of 40 years old.
Michael Jordan Height
Jordan was listed throughout his career as being 6’6″ height. Some have speculated that he’s much closer to 6’4″ tall.
Michael Jordan Weight
During his playing career, Jordan typically weighed in at around 215 pounds.
Michael Jordan Wingspan
Jordan’s wingspan is said to be 6’11”.
Michael Jordan Net Worth
Michael Jordan’s net worth is estimated to be $1.9 billion. He made less than $100 million in the NBA but obviously did very well on the endorsement front with his Nike and Jordan Brand endorsement deals raking in significant sums of money.
His original deal with Nike paid him $500,000 annually plus royalties.
Jordan has majority control over the Charlotte Hornets. Currently, the team is valued at $1.3 billion dollars.
Michael Jordan Parents
Michael Jordan’s dad, James Jordan, was about 5’9″ tall. His mom, Deloris, stands at about 5’5″ tall.
Michael Jordan Wife
His spouse is Yvette Prieto who he has been married to since 2013. Previously he was married to Juanita Vanoy from 1989 to 2006.
Michael Jordan Children
His children include Marcus, Ysabel, Jeffrey Michael, Jasmine Mickael, and Victoria.
Michael is best known for wearing jersey #23, which he started wearing at North Carolina and carried over to the Chicago Bulls. In one game in 1990, he wore jersey #12 when his regular jersey was stolen. Jordan wore jersey number 45 for a handful of games during the 1994-1995 season.
In baseball, he wore #45 for the Birmingham Barons, and then #35 for the Scottsdale Scorpions.
Michael Jordan Background and History
Considered by many to be the greatest basketball player of all-time in NBA history. Jordan gained fame as a Chicago Bulls star. Currently, he’s the principal owner of the Charlotte Hornets.
Jordan was born the fourth of five children in New York City to parents James Jordan and Deloris Jordan. The family moved to North Carolina when Michael was a toddler. Jordan played high school basketball at Emsley A. Laney High School in Wilmington, North Carolina. He played college basketball at the University of North Carolina for legendary coach Dean Smith.
After his junior year, in which he won the Woodson College Player of the Year Award, he decided to go pro. He gained fame in college most notably for hitting the winning shot at the 1982 NCAA Championship game against Georgetown (which featured Jordan’s future NBA competitor, Patrick Ewing).
MJ was drafted third in the 1984 draft behind Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie. He was an All-Star game starter in his rookie season.
The Best Ever
He won five regular-season MVPs, six NBA Finals MVPs, and three All-Star MVPs. He won an NCAA Championship, an NBA Championship, and an Olympic Gold Medal as a player. Only six other players have achieved that feat. An ESPN survey ranked Jordan as the top athlete of the 20th Century in all sports.
In the Eastern Conference Finals in 1989, Jordan scored the game-winner in the fifth and deciding game over the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Craig Ehlo in what is referred to simply as “the shot.” His career-high in scoring came in the 1986-87 season when he averaged 37.1 points per game.
Jordan’s Bulls’ first NBA finals win came at the expense of the Los Angeles Lakers – the Bulls won four games to one. One of the games featured an iconic MJ move when he switched shooting hands to avoid a block by Sam Perkins. Michael Jordan’s teammates with the Bulls included: Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, and Bill Cartwright.
Jordan returned to basketball after retiring and played a few seasons with the Washington Wizards.
Success Off the Court
Jordan’s success off the court is also extraordinary. His relationship with Nike and the Jordan Brand of shoes and apparel have made him a very rich man. He starred in several commercials, notably with Spike Lee.
Jordan has been a spokesman for Nike, Gatorade, Coca-Cola, McDonald’s and others. He also starred in the movie “Space Jam” with Bugs Bunny. Jordan puts on a clinic in many of his games, but his off-court success is also often attempted to be copied by sports greats.
Jordan announced his retirement three different times before finally hanging it up. Apparently his “love of the game clause” included in his contract was very real.
Michael Jordan Fun Facts
The NBA website declares him “the greatest basketball player of all time.” (That’s good enough for us.)
He starred in the movie “Space Jam” as himself.
He owns a basketball team in the NBA – The Charlotte Bobcats.
Per Yahoo, he’s the first athlete in history ever to become a billionaire. Rare Air!
His Airness played minor league baseball for two years.
ESPN named him the greatest North American Athlete of the twentieth century.
Michael Jordan Trivia
His middle name is Jeffrey.
A pair of Jordan shoes sold for over $70,000 at auction.
Michael Jackson wrote about MJ in a song appropriately titled, “Jam.”
Michael Jordan has won two Olympic gold medals.
He’s won five MVP awards.
Although retired as an athlete, Jordan still makes over $100 million per year.
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike has authored three basketball books, served as a basketball coach for 15 years, and is editor of Sports Feel Good Stories.
You’re on the Michael Jordan Quotes page.
You might like: