Basketball Coaching Quotes — If you’re coaching a basketball team, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Learn from some of the other great coaches – both past and present – to understand some of the key points to teaching basketball.
Check out the collection of quotes below – mostly from basketball coaches – and see if you can find a nugget or two to apply to your program.
Best Basketball Coach Quotes
- We try to stress the little things because little things lead to big things.
- Criticize on defense and encourage on offense.
- Always acknowledge hustle plays in practice.
- Coaching doesn’t start with Xs and Os. It starts with believing that players win games and coaches win players.
- Never let fundamentals and building skills take a backseat to game planning. Game plans win games. Fundamentals win championships.
Good Basketball Coaching Quotes
- Hearing improves with praise!
- I think the most important thing about coaching is that you have to have a sense of confidence about what you’re doing. You have to be a salesman and you have to get your players, particularly your leaders, to believe in what you’re trying to accomplish on the basketball floor.
- If I was given eight hours to chop down a tree, I would spend seven hours sharpening my axe.
- Your program must have an overriding purpose that is clearly visible and which teaches lessons beyond winning.
- You build your program from the ideas of great coaches.
- Praise behavior that you want to be repeated.
Basketball Coaching Sayings
- The most important thing is team morale.
- Confidence is what happens when you’ve done the hard work that entitles you to succeed.
- The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Mark Van Doren
- I am not a strategic coach; I am a practice coach.
- It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.
- Nothing will work unless you do.
Basketball Practice Plans Quotes
- What you specifically teach is what your players will do best.
- See the picture, sell the picture, paint the picture.
- Coaching is preparation.
- Good coaching is good teaching and nothing else.
- Systems win! Believe in your system, and then sell it to your players.
Check out: Kawhi Leonard quotes, net worth and more.
Inspirational Basketball Coaching Quotes
- I always designed my practice plans the night before and then made tweaks a few hours before practice began.
- Everyone wants to win, but not everyone is willing to prepare to win.
- Practice structure determines success.
- 23 Inspirational Basketball Quotes
- Perform drills that force your players to think.
- You better have great practices.
- Make practices like games, and games like practices.
- Know what you want to emphasize, then do it daily.
- All really successful coaches have a system.
- I would spend almost as much time planning practice as conducting it. Everything was planned out each day.
- If you have any suggestions to add to our collection of quotes, please use the Contact Us form and let us know. Thanks.
You might like The Brad Stevens Interview.
Practice Plans – A complete season’s worth of basketball plans give you a proven system for a great season.
Certificates – Recognize players, coaches and team parents with these designer certificates. Personalize, print and present.
Check out Basketball Quotes for Girls.
Youth Training Program – A six or nine-week program to get youth basketball players ready for the season ahead. Practice this summer at your home or neighborhood court.
Slogans and Sayings – From “Teamwork makes the dream work” to “One team, One heart,” check out this big collection of basketball slogans and sayings.
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is a former basketball coach, author of three books on basketball, and founder of Sports Feel Good Stories.
You’re on the Basketball Coaching Quotes page.
You might like:
Basketball Coaches Quotes