117 Best Pope Francis Quotes covers a range of topics including the importance of family, mercy and charity. Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio (Pope Francis) hails from Argentina. He lives in an apartment and cooks his own supper. He was elected Supreme Pontiff on March 13, 2013. Learn more about Pope Francis and The Holy See at the official site.
Pope Francis Quotes
- Jesus is the gate opening up to salvation, a gate open to everyone.
- Only the person who feels happiness in seeking the good of others, in desiring their happiness, can be a missionary.
- The royal road to peace is to see others not as enemies to be opposed but as brothers and sisters to be embraced.
- We cannot sleep peacefully while babies are dying of hunger and the elderly are without medical assistance.
- The world needs the courage, hope, faith and perseverance of Christ’s followers.
- The principal mission of the Church is evangelization, bringing the Good News to everyone.
- The gift of the Holy Spirit has been bestowed in abundance so that we may live lives of genuine faith and active charity.
- In the Church, and in the journey of faith, women have had and still have a special role in opening doors to the Lord.
- We now live in a culture of the temporary, in which more and more people are simply giving up on marriage as a public commitment.
- Christianity spreads through the joy of disciples who know that they are loved and saved.
- Climate change represents one of the principal challenges facing humanity today, and the response requires the solidarity of all.
- A Christian is never bored or sad. Rather, the one who loves Christ is full of joy and radiates joy.
- From my point of view, God is the light that illuminates the darkness, even if it does not dissolve it, and a spark of divine light is within each of us.
- God’s forgiveness is stronger than any sin.
- Small gestures of love, of tenderness, of care, make people feel that the Lord is with us. This is how the door of mercy opens.
- God has caressed us with his mercy. Let us bring God’s tender caress to others, to those who are in need.
- The way of the Church is not to condemn anyone for ever, it is to pour out the balm of God’s mercy.
- With the weapons of love, God has defeated selfishness and death. His son Jesus is the door of mercy wide open to all.
- To be merciful means to grow in a love which is courageous, generous and real.
- A little bit of mercy makes the world less cold and more just.
- In a broken world, to communicate with mercy means to help create closeness between the children of God.
- The tenderness of God is present in the lives of all those who attend the sick and understand their needs, with eyes full of love.
- It is so important to listen! Husbands and wives need to communicate to bring happiness and serenity to family life.
- All are called to love and cherish family life, for families are not a problem; they are first and foremost an opportunity.
- The strength of the family lies in its capacity to love and to teach how to love.
- The perfect family doesn’t exist, nor is there a perfect husband or a perfect wife, and let’s not talk about the perfect mother-in-law! It’s just us sinners A healthy family life requires frequent use of three phrases: “May I? Thank you, and I’m sorry” and “never, never, never end the day without making peace.”
- True joy which is experienced in the family is not something random and fortuitous, but normal and ongoing.
- To form a family is to be a part of God’s dream, to join him in building a world where no one will feel alone.
- Children have the right to grow up in a family with a father and mother capable of creating a suitable environment for the child’s development and emotional maturity. Today marriage and the family are in crisis.
- The family is where we are formed as people. Every family is a brick in the building of society.
On the World
Refugees are not numbers, they are people who have faces, names, stories, and need to be treated as such.
To change the world we must be good to those who cannot repay us
We cannot keep ourselves shut up in parishes, in our communities, when so many people are waiting for the Gospel!”
Being a Christian is not just about following commandments: it is about letting Christ take possession of our lives and transform them.
Instead of being just a church that welcomes and receives by keeping the doors open, let us try also to be a church that finds new roads, that is able to step outside itself and go to those who do not attend Mass, to those who have quit or are indifferent.
Dear young people, do not be afraid of making decisive choices in life. Have faith; the Lord will not abandon you!
The Church must pattern her behavior after the Son of God who went out to everyone without exception.
It is the disease of cowards, who do not have the courage to speak upfront and so talk behind one’s back. Watch out against the terrorism of gossip!
To understand, forgive, accompany and integrate. That is the mindset which should prevail in the Church.
Loving and forgiving are tangible and visible signs that faith has transformed our hearts.
The Gospel responds to our deepest needs, since we were created for what the Gospel offers us: friendship with Jesus.
Jesus is more than a friend. He is a teacher of truth and life who shows us the way that leads to happiness.
Children are a wonderful gift from God and a joy for parents.
In the world of work today it is essential to educate and follow the luminous and demanding path of honesty.
Open and caring families find a place for the poor.
How marvelous it would be if, at the end of the day, each of us could say: today I have performed an act of charity towards others!”
If God is present in our life, the joy of bringing the Gospel will be our strength and our happiness.
- Are you angry with someone? Pray for that person. That is what Christian love is.
- A person who is not convinced, enthusiastic, certain and in love, will convince nobody.
- God can fill our hearts with his love and help us continue our journey together towards the land of freedom and life.
- More than a scientific question, the universe is a joyful mystery that speaks of God’s boundless love for us.
- Love is the only light which can constantly illuminate a world grown dim.
- The love of God is not generic. God looks with love upon every man and woman, calling them by name.
- The secret of Christian living is love. Only love fills the empty spaces caused by evil.
- Let the Church always be a place of mercy and hope, where everyone is welcomed, loved and forgiven.
- If our hearts and actions are inspired by charity, by divine love, then our communication will be touched by God’s own power.
- In prayer let us experience the compassion of God, full of merciful love.
We are all on a journey to the common house of heaven, where we will be able to admire with joyful wonder the mystery of the universe.
Even in the worst situation of life, God waits for me, God wants to embrace me, God expects me.
Jesus understands our weaknesses and sins; and he forgives us if we allow ourselves to be forgiven.
Being Christian involves joining one’s own life, in all its aspects, to the person of Jesus and, through Him, to the Father.
We learn how to pray, just as we do to walk, speak and listen. If you tell me how you pray, I can tell you how you live.
In Jesus I have met the one who is able to bring out the best in me.
Journeying is precisely the art of looking toward the horizon, thinking where I want to go but also enduring the fatigue of the journey, which is sometimes difficult. … There are dark days, even days when we fail, even days when we fall … but always think of this: Don’t be afraid of failures. Don’t be afraid of falling
The Lord asks us to be men and women who radiate the truth, beauty and the life-changing power of the Gospel.
The measure of the greatness of a society is found in the way it treats those most in need, those who have nothing apart from their poverty
Inconsistency on the part of pastors and the faithful between what they say and what they do, between word and manner of life, is undermining the Church’s credibility.
Christ is our greatest joy; he is always at our side and will never let us down.
Dear young people, do not bury your talents, the gifts that God has given you! Do not be afraid to dream of great things!
There is so much noise in the world! May we learn to be silent in our hearts and before God.
We must restore hope to young people, help the old, be open to the future, spread love. Be poor among the poor. We need to include the excluded and preach peace.
Jesus loved us. Jesus loves us. Without limit, always, to the end.
Christian hope is a gift that God gives us if we come out of ourselves and open our hearts to him.
Dear young people, you have many plans and dreams for the future. But, is Christ at the center of each of your plans and dreams?
Every time we give in to selfishness and say ‘No’ to God, we spoil his loving plan for us.
On Religion and Believing
Let us take our Christian calling seriously and commit to live as believers.
Do not tire of asking in prayer for the Lord’s help especially in difficulty.
I believe in God, not in a Catholic God, there is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation.
The true disciple of the Lord commits himself personally to a charitable ministry whose scope is man’s multiform and endless poverty.
Our prayer cannot be reduced to an hour on Sundays. It is important to have a daily relationship with the Lord.
I say that politics is the most important of the civil activities and has its own field of action, which is not that of religion. Political institutions are secular by definition and operate in independent spheres. All my predecessors have said the same thing, for many years at least, albeit with different accents. I believe that Catholics involved in politics carry the values of their religion within them, but have the mature awareness and expertise to implement them. The Church will never go beyond its task of expressing and disseminating its values, at least as long as I’m here.
Let us ask the Lord for the grace not to speak badly of others, not to criticize, not to gossip, but rather to love everyone.
Proselytism is solemn nonsense, it makes no sense. We need to get to know each other, listen to each other and improve our knowledge of the world around us.
The Saints are not supermen, nor were they born perfect. When they recognized God’s love, they followed it and served others.
The home is the place where we learn to appreciate the beauty of the faith, to pray and serve our neighbor.
If I can help at least one person to have a better life, that already justifies the offering of my life.
When disciples of Christ are transparent in heart and sensitive in life, they bring the Lord’s light to the places where they live and work.
The Lord never tires of forgiving. It is we who tire of asking for forgiveness.
The future of society requires the fruitful encounter between young and old.
This generation, and many others, have been led to believe that the devil is a myth, a figure, an idea, the idea of evil… But the devil exists and we must fight against him.
On Overcoming Obstacles
Dear young people, let us not be satisfied with a mediocre life. Be amazed by what is true and beautiful, what is of God!
Hatred is not to be carried in the name of God.
However dark things are, goodness always re-emerges and spreads. Each day in our world beauty is born anew.
Today people are suffering from poverty, but also from lack of love
We cannot be Christians part-time. If Christ is at the center of our lives, he is present in all that we do.
We are all sinners. But may the Lord not let us be hypocrites. Hypocrites don’t know the meaning of forgiveness, joy and the love of God.
Ask yourselves this question: How often is Jesus inside and knocking at the door to be let out, to come out? And we do not let him out because of our own need for security, because so often we are locked into ephemeral structures that serve solely to make us slaves and not free children of God.
If we want to advance in the spiritual life, then, we must constantly be missionaries.
Faith is not a light which scatters all our darkness, but a lamp which guides our steps in the night and suffices for the journey. To those who suffer, God does not provide arguments which explain everything; rather, his response is that of an accompanying presence, a history of goodness which touches every story of suffering and opens up a ray of light.
There is no cross, big or small, in our life which the Lord does not share with us.
Gossip can also kill, because it kills the reputation of the person! It is so terrible to gossip! At first it may seem like a nice thing, even amusing, like enjoying a candy. But in the end, it fills the heart with bitterness, and even poisons us.
Mission is at once a passion for Jesus and a passion for his people.
The human heart desires joy. We all desire joy, every family, every people aspires to happiness. But what is the joy that the Christian is called to live out and bear witness to? It is the joy that comes from the closeness of God, from his presence in our life. From the moment Jesus entered into history, with his birth in Bethlehem, humanity received the seed of the Kingdom of God, like the soil receives the seed, the promise of a future harvest.
Indifference towards those in need is not acceptable for a Christian.
May no one use religion as a pretext for actions against human dignity and against the fundamental rights of every man and woman.
It is not enough to say we are Christians. We must live the faith, not only with our words, but with our actions.
Dear young people, Christ asks you to be wide awake and alert, to see the things in life that really matter.
A true missionary who never ceases to be a disciple, knows Jesus walks with him speaks to him, breathes with him, works with him.
If someone is gay and is searching for the Lord and has good will, then who am I to judge him? The problem is not having this tendency, no, we must be brothers and sisters to one another.
What kind of love would not feel the need to speak of the beloved, to point him out, to make him known?
An evangelizer must never look like someone who has just come back from a funeral.
The ‘Big Bang,’ that today is considered to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the creative intervention of God, on the contrary it requires it.
When evangelizers rise from prayer, their hearts are more open.
Practicing charity is the best way to evangelize.
We know well that with Jesus life becomes richer and that with him it is easier to find meaning in everything. This is why we evangelize.
God’s love is unbounded: it has no limits!
If we wish to follow Christ closely, we cannot choose an easy, quiet life. It will be a demanding life, but full of joy.
If we think that things are not going to change, we need to recall that Jesus Christ has triumphed over sin and death and is now almighty.
The world tells us to seek success, power and money; God tells us to seek humility, service and love.
Jesus Christ truly lives.
If you have other Pope Francis Quotes you’d like to suggest, please use the Contact Us page. Thanks!
You might also enjoy these other collections: